Back to School!
The end of January is quickly approaching and that means back to school year for our many families who attend Yarra Osteopathy. We see many children in the lead up to term one as they prepare to start a new school year. This can be a great time of the year for a check-up and maintenance treatment for your children. Here are some tips to help you as you prepare for this busy time.
1. School Bag
- Ensure your child’s school bag is fitted correctly by following these steps…
- Buy a purpose-designed school bag with broad, padded shoulder straps
- Backpack should be appropriately sized – no wider than the child’s chest
- I know it sounds obvious… But it should have two straps and be worn correctly.
- Use the waist strap if present
- The bag should be no more than 10% of the child’s body weight when loaded
- Load heavier items at the bottom
According to the NSW podiatry association
, the beginning of the year when going back to school is also a good time to get your child’s feet checked. They have some great tips on their website to ensure you’re getting the best fit…
- Purchase school shoes from a store that measures and fits your child
- Go shoe shopping in the afternoon. Your child’s feet will be larger at this time
- Make sure they really test the shoes out and walk around the store
- Leather is best as it breathes and is flexible
3. Start the school year with a check up at your local Osteopath…
This can be a great time to check in with your osteopath if you haven’t been in for a while. Is your child starting a new sport in term one? Have they just had a growth spurt or are they making the transition from primary to high school? Or perhaps doing lots of outdoor-ed this year? The beginning of the year can be a great time to check up on any old injuries, ensure correct posture alignment and prevent any sporting or developmental problems from arising.
Book in today
for your back to school check up!